Re: [exim] [Newbie] Using To: header to replace envelope rec…

Author: Magnus Holmgren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Newbie] Using To: header to replace envelope recipient?
On Friday 13 October 2006 13:24, jpetry@??? took the opportunity to say:
> Hi,
>
> A newbie question.
>
> I have two domains, say foo.com and bar.com.
>
> For business reasons, I can't change the MX records
> for foo.com.
>
> All mail for addresses at foo.com is sent to foomail@??? by
> the DNS provider.
>
> The To: headers are preserved in the messages.
>
> I would like these foo.com messages to be delivered to the
> users at bar.com.
>
> I can modify the exim configuration at bar.com.
>
> Is it possible to extract the local part from the To: header
> and use it for delivery?

There is a problem with this: The list of addresses in the To: (and Cc:)
fields is not the same as the list of real recipients, nor a subset nor a
superset. The bar.com server has to make this list of real recipients
available somehow, for example as an extra header (which Exim can strip off
in order not to reveal Bcc recipients). Also, if there are multiple
recipients, does foo.com send one copy per recipient or just one copy for you
to distribute to all the recipients?

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)