Re: [exim] [Newbie] Using To: header to replace envelope rec…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: jpetry
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] [Newbie] Using To: header to replace envelope recipient?

On 13 Oct 2006, at 15:21, jpetry@??? wrote:
>> and be delivered to bob@???.
>
> I am assuming at the moment that there is just one address
> in the To: header.
>
> Given that, I have added a .forward file to the foomail
> account:
>
> # Exim filter
> deliver "$header_to"
>

> This is working, but I would like to do this in the
> Exim configure file if at all possible.

This is a *really* really bad idea.
For example look at the messages you are getting from the list -
would you send those to the header To: address?
[If you do you will find yourself blocked on sesame very very quickly]

And spammers have been known to make use of this feature - ie send a
pile of messages to one of your addresses with sets of To: headers
pointing to their intended targets.

If the mail forwarding service adds envelope to headers or something
similar then you might be able to use those, but To (or CC) headers
are *not* destination headers by any stretch of the imagination.

    Nigel.