Re: [exim] announce delivery

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Beber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] announce delivery
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Beber wrote:

> So here is my question : Is there a notification driver or something like that
> I could start with. Like for example :
>
> ham_delivery:
> driver = appendfile
> maildir_format
> create_directory
> directory = $home/Maildir
> delivery_date_add
> envelope_to_add
> return_path_add
> *announce_delivery*
> group = mail

The very ancient Unix way of announcing email is called "comsat". It is
implemented by a daemon to which the mailer sends a message (using UDP).
The daemon then writes "you have mail" to the user's terminal if she/he
is logged in. Exim has support for comsat - check the "notify_comsat"
option of appendfile. If you were to write a replacement daemon that
accepted comsat-style messages, Exim can already support you.

Oddly enough, I looked at the comsat code only yesterday and thought "I
wonder if anybody uses this any more?"