Re: [exim] STARTTLS fails

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] STARTTLS fails
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Marc Haber wrote:

[snipped rant]

> Please note that this is not a rant towards you, Philip or the exim
> core team - you guys do great work.

That's OK, Marc. I did not read it that way at all.

> But all of us have the problem of missing GnuTLS knowledge.

Absolutely! I don't have much OpenSSL knowledge either.

> If I remember correctly, the guy who wrote the GnuTLS interface code
> for exim is not active in the mailing lists any more, right?

I don't think he ever was. My understanding is that he was/is a GnuTLS
guy who wanted to see it used with Exim, so he piled in and did a proof-
of-concept implementation. I subsequently tidied it up as best I could.
Later he added the code to cache the parameters in a more standard form
so that an external program could be used to generate them. But I think
that having "handed over" his contributions (which were very welcome), he
did not want a longer-term involvement.

For all sorts of reasons I do not want/expect/have time to become a
GnuTLS expert, so we need a volunteer... what perhaps will happen is
that somebody is sufficiently annoyed by the problems that they find
time and effort to track them down. That's the usual Open Source way,
isn't it?