Re: [exim] STARTTLS fails

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] STARTTLS fails
On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:54:58 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Marc Haber wrote:
>> We would - I cannot stress this enough - greatly appreciate some work
>> on GnuTLS and exim integration.
>
>Exactly what is the problem that you are referring to here? If it is the
>problem of delays while Exim is generating GnuTLS parameters, an attempt
>to alleviate that problem was provided some time ago, by making it
>possible to generate these parameters outside Exim.

We have a bunch of untraceable TLS issues that can sometimes be
reproduced with some clients, and sometimes not. These are most
probably GnuTLS issues, but we (both the Debian and the exim
community) lack the GnuTLS knowledge to clearly say "this is exim's
fault" or "this is GnuTLS' fault" (the latter being the more
probable). We also do not have enough knowledge to even debug these
issues, so most of these bug reports rot away in the Debian BTS with
the appropriate help tags. This is a very disturbing situation.

Please note that this is not a rant towards you, Philip or the exim
core team - you guys do great work. But all of us have the problem of
missing GnuTLS knowledge. If I remember correctly, the guy who wrote
the GnuTLS interface code for exim is not active in the mailing lists
any more, right?

Greetings
Marc