Re: [exim] problem with spamd (connection time out)

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] problem with spamd (connection time out)
Balzi Andrea wrote:

> I've change from 5 to 10 and I've upgrade the RAM to 6GB, but I've the same problem.
> every child it occupies approximately 450MB of RAM
> I've also clamav antivirus on my server and any scan require about 30MB of RAM.
> I've not more RAM to upgrade the server and increase the number of the child.
>
> Andrea

Those huge resources consumed, plus the reject you just handed John, say that
you are probably hiting some other problems, not just child count:

- First, you may be scanning traffic that could best be rejected earlier in the
smtp cycle for obvious malicious origin. Content immaterial.

- Second, you may be scanning *huge* messages and/or attachments. Spammers
rarely send large messages, simply becasue it take their servers/zombies too
long on each connection and they are impatient and greedy, and need to hit
zillions of WinVictims to find enough gullible ones with money.

- Third, I suspect your SA is configured to do far more than is economic or
efficient. Exim acl's, for example can do local and RBL checks more efficiently,
so no need for SA to *also* run such. SPAM_BAYES as-issued has such a low
point-value it may as well not be run..... 'Reports' with gruesome detail may
not be needed, etc.

- Finally - SA is just plain *wrong* if it scored above maybe .5 to 1.5 for what
John typically composes (at least as seen here).

Dig into the SA config, set size a limit in Exim to what you will scan *at all*,
try ditching obvious zombies earlier in smtp phase.

HTH,

Bill