Re: [exim] R: Exim4 And outgoing Filters

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] R: Exim4 And outgoing Filters
Christoph Purrucker wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>

>>No, the 'problem' is that 'debian rules' translates to 'we are right and
>>the world is wrong'.
>>Last time I checked, 'modular' colonies of Penguins rode on the tops of
>>'monolithic' ice masses.
>>Not the other way 'round.
>

> You /may/ use the Debian-specific way with update-exim and split or
> unsplit exim configuration. As the manual of exim4-package says, what the
> hell did they smoke?
>
> But you can disable all that stuff by creating your own config at
> /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
>
> This is all standard. Then there are no further update-scripts needed. And
> the config will fit the exim manual and this mailing list.

Granted. The 'problem' isn't really an 'every-Debian' issue, nor certainly a
Debian-user-in-general issue, least of all a Linux issue.

It's that the new, unaware user - even those who might *later* see benefit in
the split-config, are being dumped straight into an odd-man-out scenario that
makes it more, not less, difficult to get help from the stock documents and
broader user community.

The Debian-Exim-specifc list hasn't entirely solved that challenge.

Those already expert know how to manage the issue, but the 'newbie' should not
have to create an exim4.conf just to prevent being sent down the road less traveled.

He's already trapped by the install. Should he back-out and start over?

What *might do* is for those in a position to do so in the Debian community, to
set the default install to be 'vanilla' Exim, then more carefully explain
the pros and cons *and* responsibility for specialized research/mailing lists,
that have to do with their pet option.

Or at least have the install scripts divert to a (better?) explanation of the
options, and to be honest enough to point out that the specialized way IS
out-of-step with the rest of the community, so may be cut-off from ready use of
the knowledge base and Exim documentation.

It would be less of an issue if so many of the victims didn't still end up here,
and already stuck in an mode that makes it hard to aid them.

Or even if the 'split-config' actually has some advantage recognizable by more
than just a core of its own adherants?

Surely a coder doesn't need multiple files just to automate management?

Take Apache's hoary and massive httpd.conf as a (bad?) example....

By comparison, Exim's configure file is clean, light, and arranged in a
consistent and logical manner. Just not a problem.

>>You hold your breath until Debian actually DOES 'rule'.
>

> I think Debian rules :-)

Ah! But that's just an *opinion*!

Still breathing BSD here ... and no, it doesn't 'rule'.
Au contraire, it *serves*

No OS 'rules'. Let alone a mere packaging system.

;-)

Bill