Re: [exim] R: Exim4 And outgoing Filters

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] R: Exim4 And outgoing Filters
Marc Haber wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:30:35 +0800, W B Hacker <wbh@???>
> wrote:
>
>>And a 'fix' for the Debian problem.
>

> There is no Debian problem.

Ipse dixit.

> If you consider a monolithic hand-written config a "fix", you are
> pretty well aware that this user is not going to understand it and
> won't be able to fix any issues that may surface in the future.

Quite the contrary.

The user will have access to the help of the *very much larger* community of
Exim users comprised of most 'commercial' Unix, all the *BSD's, including OS X,
serveral hundred *other* Linux distros, and even members of the Debian community
who have elected to simpify their boxen and use the 'universal' ~/exim/configure
methodology. The U Cambridge 'raw' tarballs ordinarily build as well for us as
our various pre-customized ports and packages.

That is *tons* of directly useful advice we all share seamlessly, not to mention
the superb Exim documentation - also directly useful, not altered in some
proprietary manner.

- If it ain't broke.... use it as found.

> By
> issueing what I suspect you call a "Fix", you are depriving him from
> all support from the Debian community and of automatic updates.

The 'Debian-Community'-unique support is not needed even on Debian if the normal
exim configuration is used. Better information from a broader collection of
contributors, with wider-ranging experience, is available *here*, and in the
Exim docs for that. Faster, as well. Note those who come here AFTER languishing
on the Debian-=specific list.

The 'automatic updates', and/or the Exim revs to which they apply, have
historically been out-of-date more often than not on Debian. That, too has been
problematic for folks who just want to get on with the job.

So 'deprive'? NOT. Still the user's choice.

Why do no other Exim environents find themselves so 'different' that they
require their own specialized mailing list as Debian-Exi does?

- because the rest of us can *share* from a common starting point.

Pragmatism, not proselytism.

All we want to do is carry the mail.

> The problem in this case is the user, and people like you giving
> inappropriate advice.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

No, the 'problem' is that 'debian rules' translates to 'we are right and the
world is wrong'.

Last time I checked, 'modular' colonies of Penguins rode on the tops of
'monolithic' ice masses.

Not the other way 'round.

Make you a deal.

You hold your breath until Debian actually DOES 'rule'.

I'll start holding mine when that day comes...

;-)

Bill