Re: [exim] Mailing list messages go awry.

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: W B Hacker
À: exim users
Sujet: Re: [exim] Mailing list messages go awry.
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 25 August 2006 17:26:06 -0600 Sherwood Botsford <sbotsford@???>
> wrote:
>

>>Once a
>>week or so, I go through this, adding some names to the blackhole
>>list. (As a school we have a high turnover. I forward for a year
>>after they leave, then junk anything else.)
>

> Don't do that - reject it. Otherwise people will think they're being
> ignored. Important notifications could go missing, and your school could
> -in some rare circumstances- find itself in legal hot water. Legal
> notifications that are rejected by your server are not considered
> delivered. Notifications that are black-holed can in some arbitration cases
> be considered proper legal notification.

smtp is not, ordinarily, a means of communication with inherent standing as far
as 'legal notification' is concerned. Far too much can go awry, though message +
intentional, manual, responding confirmation is 'good enough' for most courts,
absent a challenge by/against one or more of the involved parties.

That said, I agree that it is better to reject smtp traffic for folks who are no
longer in the current user community.

;-)

Bill Hacker

- retired International Record Carrier & 'nailed up' Private Networks mavin -
critters which *MAY* have inherent legal standing, though not always, even then....