Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Marc Haber
À: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:31:27 +0100, Robert Pawlowicz
<rob@???> wrote:
>Any way, firstly I thought I'd use my usual SMTP mail server which is
>completely separate from my ISP. All I would need to do is authenticate
>and all would be done. However I noticed very quickly that it wasn't
>sending emails to any address other than the domain for the SMTP server.
>For example the SMTP host is mail.example.com - I could only send emails
>to rob@???.

That SMTP host is not set up to relay for you.

>I gave up with that and figured my ISP would be easier - well not quite,
>all I get back from them is a 550 relay not permitted.

You probably need to authenticate to the ISPs smart host.

>Again I was
>shocked at my email client has no such problem.

Is your E-Mail client running on the same machine? Is it running on a
machine that is similarly connected? Is it set up to authenticate to
your ISPs smart host?

>So long as I
>authenticate correctly surely it should work?

Is your exim set up to authenticate?

>Any way please help

You do not give enough information to be of real help. For example, is
your exim4 running on some local machine or is it the installation you
refer to as "your usual SMTP server"?

It also looks like you didn't understand (or even read) any of the
questions that were asked during installation. You can reconfigure
your exim4 packages by calling dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config as root.
This time, please try to read and understand the questions that you
are asked.

There is also a detailed README in your packages, and there is a
truckload of documentation linked from the Debian exim4 home page,
http://pkg-exim4.alioth.debian.org/. Since these two resources are
mentioned all over the place, I am pretty sure that they are almost
impossible to miss.

>- I really need to get these emails working, it's
>making testing some applications a nightmare.

If this is important for your business, I recommend hiring a paid
consultant to educate you and to configure your e-mail system. It'll
be cheaper this way than spending days fiddling around.

Greetings
Marc