Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Odhiambo G. Washington
À: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue
* On 04/08/06 15:31 +0100, Robert Pawlowicz wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| I'm trying to set up Exim so that my testing server at home will send
| emails. I'm running RT (request tracker) and PHP4 and I'd like to be
| able to use both properly.
|
| I set out to configure Exim4 on debian and at first glance it looked
| relatively straight forward - as I imagined it should be. I'd actually
| set this up a while ago so was completely new to it.
|
| Any way, firstly I thought I'd use my usual SMTP mail server which is
| completely separate from my ISP. All I would need to do is authenticate
| and all would be done. However I noticed very quickly that it wasn't
| sending emails to any address other than the domain for the SMTP server.
| For example the SMTP host is mail.example.com - I could only send emails
| to rob@???.
|
| I gave up with that and figured my ISP would be easier - well not quite,
| all I get back from them is a 550 relay not permitted. Again I was
| shocked at my email client has no such problem. So long as I
| authenticate correctly surely it should work?
|
| Any way please help - I really need to get these emails working, it's
| making testing some applications a nightmare.
|
| Kind regards,
|
| Robert Pawlowicz

At first glance, it appears like:

1. You have to define your own local domain name within Exim.
2. You need to craft routers that will handle your local domain
mails and place these routers strategically above the one that
is sending all your mails via the ISP. Be careful about these
routers. They will require two important parameters:

domains = YOUR_LOCAL_NON_INTERNET_DOMAIN (see (1) above)
no_more

So that mail that should not go to the Internet end right there.

Here are some notes about setting up RT with Exim:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=229052 - Please
read the whole page to the bottom ;)

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                    . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com            . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223            . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121            . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post