Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: W B Hacker
À: exim users
Sujet: Re: [exim] smarthost/SMTP issue
Robert Pawlowicz wrote:

> W B Hacker wrote:

*snip*

>>- what does 'hostname <Return> get you?
>
> sorry not sure what you mean here

At a command-prompt on your 'server', type "hostname" and hit the <Return> key.

>>- Is 127.0.0.1 your actual external IP? If not, have you told Exim the real one
>>or defaulted to it? (DHCP assigned?)
>

> well - here is where I need help, that IP address is the localhost IP,
> should I have my external IP in here? I tried it, but didn't change
> anything.

(heavy sigh)

*snip*

>>they expect you on port 25 or a submission port, and if you are exepted to
>>authenticate, and if so, how?
>

> I'm having little luck with C&W, other than 'we only help people set up
> outlook express'. I've banged on a few doors but haven't gotten anywhere.

Possibly because what THEY BELIEVE they sold you is simply internet access for
browsing and a few e-mail accounts on THEIR mail server.

*snip*

>>Can you enter yourself as a permitted relay_host on that server?
>

> I don't know... how can I find out?

If you do not have 'root' access, you probably cannot...

*snip*

>>An MTA does not ordinarily expect to connect the same way an MUA does.
>

> As I began to suspect.

Plenty of documentation around..

>>If you want to act as an MSA client where an MUA is normally expected, you will
>>have to 'teach it' to connect on the submission port and authenticate as an MUA
>>would do.
>

> Sounds hideously complex... I'm only trying to get this to work so I can
> get on with my real job!

Best advice I can give is to go off and find someone with good MTA experience.
Anything else is going to take a lot of time.

Web-based message generation is a whole 'nuther chance to open a route to abuse
that will violate your T&C in a New York Minute.

*snip*

>>If you are going to run a public-facing smtp server, you should check Bulldog's
>>T&C carefully before you proceed. Many broadband providers forbid that.
>

> Well that sounds about right :(

Should be no surprise. You would ordinarily need at least a 'virtual host'
leased server, preferably a 'dedicated' one or collocation (rackspace).

Even if/as/when you were to manage to get an MTA running on residential/SOHO
broadband, you could expect to be blacklisted for lack of a fixed-IP, if not
shut-down by the connectivity ISP.

> Despite the lack of info I'm getting from customer support, I should
> imagine that my queries will result in being told that I'm not allowed
> to do it, or in fact the reason that I'm getting the 550 Relay not
> permitted message is because Relaying is not permitted!

*That* you can count on. Worse, ports you wish to use may be firewalled.

Indications are that you need to invest several man-days, if not a week or more,
to get your arms around *n*x in general, servers and their services in
particular - before even returning to smtp, MTA's, MSA's and MUA's - and the
Exim configuration.

The Unix/Linux environment is 'expert friendly' - not 'user friendly, and the
only reason you haven't managed to shoot yourself in the foot so far is that you
haven't assembled all the bits and pieces of the weapon yet - and Bulldog
probably has you firewalled!

;-)

Best,

Bill