Re: [exim] Incoming duplicates

Author: Christian Balzer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Incoming duplicates

Tony Finch wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Chris Blaise wrote:

[MSN happily ignoring RFC timeouts]
>> And/or is there a built-in way deal with this situation?
>
>The only way is to ensure that your machine is meaty enough to scan email
>quickly. In particular you should ensure that SpamAssassin is tuned for
>speed, such as having a local DNS cache for RBL lookups.

I can confirm this MSN behavior, one recipient here was at the end of some
8.8MB mail which must have been a specifically crafted mime/mail bomb.
It took SA 160s (98s w/o Bayes) to handle it, while usually mails in this
size range take less than 5 seconds (including all DNS/DCC/Razor checks).
Note the 98s up there, which means that they're not even waiting 2 minutes.

And while this is clearly an isolated incident here (no trace of anything
similar in the logs for the last weeks and our content scanner machines
really DO breathe fire ;) it shows what happens when big players think
they can go and make up rules as they go.

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services