Re: [exim] Exchange address verification: Not working

Author: Jason Meers
To: Derrick MacPherson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exchange address verification: Not working

>     exim (external smtp)
>     /
>      exim (internal smtp)
>     \
>     exchange (using a pop pull)

> I'd like to have the internal smtp determine if the mail is to deliver
> to itself (for most of my users are using pop) or go to the exchange
> server for all those that are on exchange..
>
> Suggestions?

This may not be exactly what you are asking for but it looks like your
struggling with your current approach . The way I see it you have a
couple of options which all achieve the same thing with various levels
of difficulty and elegance.

1) Query against an LDAP directory or "local users" and manualroute
accordingly
2) Use a manual list/cdb of names and use a redirect router
3) Deliver everything to exim and forward all unknown to exchange
4) Deliver everything to exchange and forward all unknown to exim

The following articles and threads may help, or just google "exchange
forward unknown users". (A mis-match in the exchange "alias" entry has
caused me lots of problems in the past).

Re: [Exim] Forwarding unknown users to another host
http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040216/msg00232.html

Sharing SMTP address spaces in Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321721/

How to configure Exchange to forward messages to a foreign messaging
system that shares the same SMTP domain name space
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319759/

Thanks
Jason Meers