Re: [exim] Exchange address verification: Not working

Author: Derrick MacPherson
To: Jason Meers
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] Exchange address verification: Not working : SOLVED
Subject: Re: [exim] Exchange address verification: Not working
On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 10:23 +0100, Jason Meers wrote:

> >     exim (external smtp)
> >     /
> >      exim (internal smtp)
> >     \
> >     exchange (using a pop pull)

> > I'd like to have the internal smtp determine if the mail is to deliver
> > to itself (for most of my users are using pop) or go to the exchange
> > server for all those that are on exchange..
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> This may not be exactly what you are asking for but it looks like your
> struggling with your current approach . The way I see it you have a
> couple of options which all achieve the same thing with various levels
> of difficulty and elegance.
>
> 1) Query against an LDAP directory or "local users" and manualroute
> accordingly
> 2) Use a manual list/cdb of names and use a redirect router
> 3) Deliver everything to exim and forward all unknown to exchange
> 4) Deliver everything to exchange and forward all unknown to exim

What compounds this is that my users in exchange are also local (NIS) to
the internal exim box.

What I'd like to do, is all mail go from external exim (exim1), to
internal exim (exim2), exim2 then looks at exchange to see if they have
an exchange account and if that's true send to the exchange server, and
if not, continue delivering through exim2's routers (forward, majordomo,
etc)

How is this possible?

If it's not I could live with the external exim box sending all email to
the exchange box, and if it's not valid to send to the internal exim
box, but I like the way the previous methodology works as it involves
changes to one box, not 2 or 3