Re: [exim] unusually long delays during DATA part of smtp co…

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] unusually long delays during DATA part of smtp communication
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 10:05:51AM +0100, Jeremy Harris wrote:
> Marcus Barczak wrote:
> > On our primary mail server here i'm noticing major (up to 1-2
> > minutes) delays on incoming SMTP connections at the end of the DATA
> > phase. After the final period exim appears to be hanging a majorly
> > long time before notifying the client that their message is
> > accepted.
>
> > If anyone can suggest any techniques that might help to diagnose this
> > i'd be very appreciative.
>
> Can you add logging output to your chain of routers? Looking at the
> timestamps of an affected item might point to one particular one,
> or to either before or after routing.

another useful starting point might be to strace the main
exim daemon with options -ff -ttt -o /path/to/exim-strace
(follow forks, write traces of different processes into
different files, and record the time of each syscall).
Then when you identify from the logs a process in which
this long delay occured, you can see what the process was
waiting for from the strace output.

--
``This then, was the apex of Soviet 1960's electronic...
or at least electric, design-- a safety system that both