Re: [exim] "HELO given" check at MAIL or RCPT time?

Author: Dave Lugo
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "HELO given" check at MAIL or RCPT time?
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Marc Haber wrote:

> I am wondering whether it is appopriate to do that check at MAIL or at
> RCPT time. What do you think?

It's usually best to issue the 4xx or 5x deferrals/rejections after
RCPT, otherwise some badly-written MTAs tend to go into DoS mode.

The other advantage to this, is that you'll know who the attempted
recipient was, and so it makes it easier to find in the logs in
case it's actually legit mail from some badly coded application.

Dave Lugo   dlugo@???    LC Unit #260   TINLC