Re: [exim-dev] RFC: implementing 551-redirection (client sid…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Robert Millan
CC: Tony Finch, exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] RFC: implementing 551-redirection (client side)
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Robert Millan wrote:

> Can we get back to the router from the transport by issuing
> sendmail(1) as if we were a MUA?

Well, yes, in theory, but an smtp transport is concerned with delivering
over SMTP, not delivering over a pipe, and if you did this you'd be
submitting a new message, of course. Also, I doubt that it would be
appropriate to try to do this in the middle of an SMTP conversation with
a server (remember, there may be other recipients to be handled as
well). So it would best be done afterwards, in which case the overall
delivery process could do it, rather than the transport. At least you
could then use X-something for loops.