Re: [exim] Delay in SMTP "no IP address found for host"

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Delay in SMTP "no IP address found for host"
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 06:36:49PM +0000, Mordur said:
> Hi,
>
> I have just set up a mail relay for authenticated users using Debian/GNU
> Linux. It seems to work, except that there is about 30 second delay
> after submission of mail (from firefox) during which nothing is logged.
> After this delay, the following is logged:
>

> 2006-07-17 18:16:32 no IP address found for host
> my.router.hostname.from.which.mail.is.submitted.com (during SMTP
> connection from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx])
>
> Why is this? Are there some lookups being done for 30 seconds, then
> timing out? How do I disable this, whatever it is. 30 second delay is
> too much.

30 seconds is presumably a DNS query. It could also be an ident query
timing out. You can try turning one or the other off to find out which
fixes the delay.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Oh what wouldn't I give to be spat at  |
|  steve@???             | in the face..." -- a prisoner in "Life  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | of Brian"                               |