Re: [exim] 451 error codes & Exchange

Author: Renaud Allard
To: Dave Evans
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 451 error codes & Exchange
I manage about 30 smarthosts for various versions of MS exchange from
5.0 to 2003. And most causes for queues filling up on exchange come from
the fact they accept everything as a recipient (except 2003 but that
needs extra configuration) for their domains, and they try to send
bounces to non existent forged senders because they sent mails to non
existent local users. All those bounces will be deferred by you do
recipient callout verification. Do you also handle incoming spam
verification for those exchanges?

AFAIK 451 is a temporary error, so the MTA shouldn't drop the connection
(forbidden by RFC2821), but issue a QUIT and retry later.
Some buggy MTAs just treat 451 errors as permanent errors if the first
recipient was ok but others where 45x'ed, but this isn't the case for
exchange.