Re: [exim] 1 user name in 2 different domains

Author: Renaud Allard
To: exim users
CC: Jean-Paul BALOCHE
Subject: Re: [exim] 1 user name in 2 different domains
You are safe with this router as someone else explained.

But with amavis, you are unable to reject spam or viruses at SMTP time
(like exim ACL are able to do), that means you have to accept them
first, so accept the responsibility for what happens to the mail, which
is a very bad idea IMHO.

Imagine you have someone sending a mail which is seen by amavis as spam.
There are 2 possibilities:
either you destroy it -> if it was a real spam, no problem. If it was a
wrong detection nobody is warned.
either you pass it through -> if it was a real spam, the user still gets
it, so there is no point scanning it. If it was legit, it's great, as
the user gets it.

Sending bounces notifying someone sent a spam or virus will waste your
time, bandwidth, CPU and will probably make you blacklisted as _your
server_ sends collateral spam.

A roundabout would be to quarantine spams. But who will warn (and when),
when a user doesn't know he didn't receive that real mail which was
qualified as spam.

When rejecting at SMTP time, if a mail was misqualified, the sender is
warned by its own mailserver. If it was real spam, no bandwidth, time or
CPU is wasted. That's why exim is great.