[exim] discovering when exim has finished processing a messa…

Author: Chris Lightfoot
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] discovering when exim has finished processing a message
Suppose I know the queue ID of a message which I've
submitted to exim for delivery to one or more remote
addresses. Is there any way to learn programmatically when
processing of that message is complete, and what the
results were (i.e. which addresses were successfully
delivered and which not)? For my purposes I only need to
deal with messages with exactly one recipient.

I can see the following possibilities, none attractive:
(a) parse the logs; (b) wait for the queue file to
disappear (which wouldn't tell me whether it was
successfully handled or not); (c) patch exim. Have I
missed something? I see that for a local transport I could
use a shadow transport to achieve what I want, but not for
a remote transport....

--
``The reason that the sun never set on the British Empire
is that God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark.'' (Duncan Spaeth)