Re: [exim] DNS Question - Advanced

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] DNS Question - Advanced
Hello Marc,

Marc Perkel <marc@???> (Mi 07 Jun 2006 04:31:00 CEST):
> Server B is a regular DNS server set up for caching and running BIND.
> It's the one that will be the public face for the blacklist providing
> caching for Server A so as not to load down Server A.
>
> So what I want is that Server B secretly knows where Server A is so that
> any request of dnsbl.junkemailfilter.com goes to Server B and Server B
> passes the request on to Server A and caches it reducing the load on
> Server A and keeling it hidden from the world.

You should consult a book about DNS and Bind as recommended already.

That what you intend to do is called 'hidden primary'.

Just do not mention the primary NS in your zone file of the parent zone
and the sub zone itself (except in the SOA record). But direct your
secondary to {A,I}XFR the zone data from that primary by a approbiate
'masters { ... }' statement in its named conf.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -