Re: [exim] DNS Question - Advanced

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] DNS Question - Advanced

> So - here's my tricky question. I have 2 DNS servers. Server A runs
> MyDNS - a MySQL driven server. It's the one that does the work behind
> the scenes. It has no caching and should be considered to be slow.
>
> Server B is a regular DNS server set up for caching and running BIND.
> It's the one that will be the public face for the blacklist providing
> caching for Server A so as not to load down Server A.

Did you not consider using rbldnsd for your DNSBL? Update it from
MySQL as often as once per minute from cron (it's designed to properly
handle in-service updates of the zone data) or perhaps on a trigger if
your MySQL is new enough.

Way better then BIND for this job, way easier to write the zone files,
much lower memory usage, faster, etc etc.

http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd.html

(Don't confuse with 'rbldns')

Peter

--