Re: [exim] DNS Question - Advanced

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] DNS Question - Advanced
On 04/06/06, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
> I'm starting my own dns blacklist and real close to getting it working.
> I have a quick question.
>
> My domain junkemailfilter.com has 3 name servers set. But - for the host
> dnsbl.junkemailfilter.com I'm using a different nameserver. So I want to
> tell that world that a query to 92.239.252.87.dnsbl.junkemailfilter.com
> should go to this new nameserver instead of the regular one for the rest
> of the domain.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> And - I will let others use this once it's working.

Marc

Think very carefully about using a subdomain of your business domain
for this. Do some googling about what happened to 'monkeys.com' for a
case study in what bad things can happen.

Do you have enough DNS bandwidth for this? Bear in mind that queries
for the subdomain will hit the main domain servers first, so you'll
get double traffic for each subdomain query, which you won't be able
to make go away once the existance of the dnsbl gets into the wild,
even if you've shut it down or moved it.

Use a disposable non-related domain.

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer