Re: [exim] dnslookup hang up while verifying spam mail

Autor: Dean Brooks
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] dnslookup hang up while verifying spam mail
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 09:37:46AM +0100, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> On 01/06/2006 21:24, Marek Maj(c)herek Majchrowski wrote:
> > Can anybody tells me, what i should do with this?
> > How can I cat off the dnsloookup if it doesn't work...
>
> calling dnslookup router
> dnslookup router called for root@???
>    domain = zytechnologies.com
> DNS lookup of zytechnologies.com (MX) gave TRY_AGAIN
> zytechnologies.com in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (option unset)
> returning DNS_AGAIN
> dnslookup router: defer for root@???
>    message: host lookup did not complete

> The first run on a "clean" pair of DNS resolvers not used to lookup that
> domain before gave a response in 35 seconds, the second run took 0.18s.

Some DNS servers and/or resolvers don't handle SERVFAIL responses on
dns lookups very gracefully. It could be that the resolver and/or
recursive DNS server is attempting to retry the lookup over and over
to each of the (supposedly) authoritative nameservers.

There may be global commands that you can put in /etc/resolv.conf to
dampen the retry attempts on lookups that may help. If you have access
to another set of DNS servers, you may also want to try that as a temporary
test to see if it helps isolate the source of the problem.

--
Dean Brooks
dean@???