Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?

Autor: Vincent Danen
A: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?
* John W. Baxter <jwblist3@???> [2006-05-18 15:59:56 -0700]:

> > I don't think it would be hundreds of lines.
>
> Well, a raw count from the spec reached 117 lines*, but
>    1. Some of those could be omitted as being things that one would never
> type successfully at the command line--they are used internally when Exim
> execs itself.

>    2. There would be some growth if you enumerate the possible flags for the
> -d option.

>    3. And there would be some growth if you split out the various -qblah and
> -Rblah possibilities

Right... not every single option is going to be useful, and it should be
a terse listing; if you want more info read the manpage but if you want
to know real quick how to unfreeze a message, --help should tell you.

> > Now I feel challenged, however.... =) I'm going to patch exim to do
> > this and see how big it really is.
>
> I think this is a good idea.

It's always fun... I did it for aide, I can do it for exim (although
exim's may take a bit longer.. =)

> I resisted (silently) at first, but that was just a "change is bad" reaction
> (at 67, I'm allowed to do that). I would suggest crafting the patch so that
> executing the bare
> exim
> command continues to emit the brief form that it currently shares with
> exim --help
> probably with an "offer" of the --help option.

Yeah, that was my thinking to. Just typing "exim" shouldn't give you a
page of gook, but if you ask for --help, it'd be nice if exim provided.

> *My count could have been off, particularly since I had a cat demanding
> attention while I was counting.

lol... dang those cats... =) hmmm... i think mine wants to be fed.

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"