Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?
On 5/18/06 2:42 PM, "Vincent Danen" <vdanen@???> wrote:

> I don't think it would be hundreds of lines.

Well, a raw count from the spec reached 117 lines*, but
1. Some of those could be omitted as being things that one would never
type successfully at the command line--they are used internally when Exim
execs itself.

2. There would be some growth if you enumerate the possible flags for the
-d option.

3. And there would be some growth if you split out the various -qblah and
-Rblah possibilities

> Now I feel challenged, however.... =) I'm going to patch exim to do
> this and see how big it really is.

I think this is a good idea.

I resisted (silently) at first, but that was just a "change is bad" reaction
(at 67, I'm allowed to do that). I would suggest crafting the patch so that
executing the bare
exim
command continues to emit the brief form that it currently shares with
exim --help
probably with an "offer" of the --help option.

*My count could have been off, particularly since I had a cat demanding
attention while I was counting.

--John