Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Vincent Danen
CC: exim-users, John W. Baxter
Assumpte: Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?
On Thu, 18 May 2006, Vincent Danen wrote:

> > Well, a raw count from the spec reached 117 lines*, but
> >    1. Some of those could be omitted as being things that one would never
> > type successfully at the command line--they are used internally when Exim
> > execs itself.

The Exim man page is produced automatically from the Exim reference
manual. I'm afraid I have neither the time nor the inclination to
maintain the same information in two places. And sure as eggs are eggs
they would get out of step. I suppose it might be possible to make the
script more clever and get it to leave out certain stuff, but then there
might (would?) be arguments about what should be included/excluded.
("You don't need -bd; nobody ever starts the daemon from the command
line". "Oh yes, they do"...)

I only produced a man page when people shouted loudly enough that there
should be one; I don't personally think it's useful for something as
complicated as Exim where (IMO) you need the full reference manual.