Re: [exim] sending mail from outside

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] sending mail from outside
Tony Finch wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2006, Samuel Thoraval wrote:
>
>>Thanks a lot but it doesn't help me much...
>

> I'm thinking of adding the following to the default configuration file, to
> make it easier for people to get basic authentication working:

*specifics trimmed*

Concur.

I think it would be a Very Good Idea to include not one, but
several (three?) default / example submission authenticators, at
least one TLS-enabled over port 587.

MUA's are far from 100% consistent, and SQL / other DB-based
lookups can be left to cookbook, etc., but it should be possible
to provide 'typical current practice' models that fit the most
commonly used MUA(s) [1] and encourage submission-port & TLS use.

I'll leave discussion of which, if any, are 'active' as default
to those more experienced with diverse user groups, but IMNSHO,
authenticators are not an area where there is a great deal of
need for re-engineering. Just not that much latitude.

SQL (and other) lookups that can return 'accept any' or
fall-through values, OTOH, need at least a strong caveat.

JM2CW,

Bill

[1] "current" Outlook/OE, Moz mail, T-bird, Apple Mailer.App,
GNUMail, and many others work with one or both of the same two
TLS-if-available authenticators AFAIK, and an install-generated
self-signed cert is arguably better than no cert at all.

Legacy/unofficial smpts port 465 (SSL) 'went away' per
IETF/ICANN re-assignment to Cisco for other use WEF February
2006, IIRC.