Re: [exim] Stress testing an smtp server

Author: exim-users
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Stress testing an smtp server
Odhiambo G. Washington schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for something that I cannot define clearly, but which I
> believe you will ;)
>
> I am looking for a tool that I can use to stress-test my SMTP server
> (Exim, of course). I simply want to load the server to an extent that
> would lead it to in turn stress the CPU and eat a considerable amount
> of memory...
>
> Generally, I just need to see how a server that I have (Dell PowerEdge
> 2800 with 2x3.2GHz and 4GB RAM) would behave under stress.
>
> I believe I am still not clear, but maybe I am...
>
> It's a production box, so I would not want mail to go out to anyone,
> except myself, if there was any mail to go out as part of the test.
>
> Advise?

We did our benchmarking with this excellent tool from Sun:
http://www.slamd.com/

Slamd runs on a Tomcat instance and controls the potentially distributed
job runners. It further requires an LDAP server for storing the job
descriptions and the collected data. Slamd is setup easily, comes with
some predefined job templates including SMTP and lets you write your own
jobs. The SMTP template that is shipped with Slamd suited our needs.

HTH,
Patrick Eisenacher