Re: [exim] Stress testing an smtp server

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
CC: Odhiambo G. Washington
Subject: Re: [exim] Stress testing an smtp server
Hi,

Odhiambo G. Washington <wash@???> (Mi 26 Apr 2006 21:34:24 CEST):
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a tool that I can use to stress-test my SMTP server
> (Exim, of course). I simply want to load the server to an extent that
> would lead it to in turn stress the CPU and eat a considerable amount
> of memory...

I did something like this with a small self brewed script starting
enough instances of 'swaks' from another machine (of course, creating
stress on this other machine as well ;-), so you might consider several
'other' machines for sending mails to your one exim box.

But of course, you'll have to find out *what* exactly you'd like to
test. Inbound only (stressing your mail storage system)? Forwarding
(stressing you network connections)? SSL (stressing your entropy
device), Bouncing, SPAM-Scanning,
Virus-Filtering and so on.

But all these aspects you can meet with 'swaks' and some shell
scripting, I'd say.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -