Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Jason Meers, Peter Bowyer
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

--On 24 April 2006 17:08:37 +0100 Jason Meers <Jason.Meers@???>
wrote:

>> There's a huge difference. I answer a great many questions with
>> something like 'you need a redirect router' and a link to the
>> appropriate page in the manual.
>>
>> I'm of the opinion that this is helpful. Perhaps not quite as helpful
>> as crafting a detailed solution (although that's arguable along the
>> 'teach a man to fish' line), but I really do think that pointing
>> someone to the bit of documentation where their question is answered,
>> along with the next few questions they're bound to have when they've
>> learnt some more, has to be valuable.
>
> Question?
>
> Are we saying that providing a reference (with or without the F word) is
> preferred over providing a more detailed answer because it's
> counter-productive and doesn't "teach a man to fish"?

I think it may be preferable to provide a reference in some circumstances.
If the reference material actually answers the question in a clear manner
(as in Peter's example), then there's little point reinventing the wheel.

On the other hand, the manual may not contain an answer, or the
relationship between the question and the reference material may not be
obvious (as in Peter's example).

In other circumstances, it may be quicker and easier to just answer the
question, rather than to find the reference. Providing the reference may be
more helpful, since the reference material may contain additional useful
information. Also, the reference material may have gone through several
iterations for clarity and accuracy.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex