Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Herb Martin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
From: John Burnham
> Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 7:57 AM
> To: exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
>
> As a matter of interest, is it posts that just say 'RTFM' that people
> consider offensive ? If I were to say, 'RTFM - section foo,
> subsection bar
> and pay particular attention to baz' (as I have done in the
> past), what
> would peoples' attitudes to that be ? The documentation is
> some of the best
> I've ever encountered and often pointing people to the
> relevant is the best
> way to answer some questions. I certainly wouldn't find it
> offensive to be given an answer like that.
> J.

Neither would I -- you may answer me in that manner
any time and not expect me to be unoffended, but also
appreciative of the help.

For some people the "searching" the manual may still
be an issue (not realizing Google can do that efficiently
is likely the biggest issue) but sometimes we don't know
the critical keywords that will find the specific section.

If that RTFM-section/keyword/etc doesn't answer the question
then a quick follow-up practically always gets more help
("I have read the Fine Manual section X and don't know or
understand etc. etc. etc.")

Sometimes it leads to improvements in the Fine Manual.

--
Herb Martin