Re: [exim] Maildir Quota excluding Trash folder.

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Maildir Quota excluding Trash folder.
Marc Sherman wrote:

> Philip Hazel wrote:
>
>>How is this happening? I thought that maildir deliveries always went
>>into the cur directory? Oh, it's going into .Trash/cur? Aarrgghh!!
>>What is the configuration of your transport?
>>
>>Are there any maildir experts reading this who would like to comment? I
>>am not a maildir person.
>

> I'm not an expert, but I do know a little bit about it. Here's an
> excerpt from the maildir manpage:
>

>>Folders are additional subdirectories in the maildir whose names
>>begin with a period: such as .Drafts or .Sent. Each folder itself
>>contains the same three subdirectories, tmp, new, and cur, and an
>>additional zero-length file named maildirfolder, whose purpose is to
>>inform any mail delivery agent that it's really delivering to a
>>folder, and that the mail delivery agent should look in the parent
>>directory for any maildir-related information.
>

> So a folder is, for most purposes, a maildir itself; it has its own
> tmp/new/cur structure, and can be delivered to directly. But it has the
> "maildirfolder" marker file to indicate that it's a folder, so when
> you're doing things like calculating quota, you can look for that
> marker, and if it's there, instead calculate quota based on the parent
> directory, which will be the containing root maildir.
>
> - Marc

I believe that explanation to be correct - at least for
'conventional' Maildir's.

Dovecot may not be at all involved in the particular case under
discussion.

OTOH, it may serve to illustrate that some of the possible
departures from the specification are not 'on the radar' of an
unaltered Exim:

Although Timo says;

"Dovecot can work with standard mbox and maildir formats and
it's fully compatible with UW-IMAP and Courier IMAP servers'
implementation of them, as well as mail clients accessing the
mailboxes directly."

This is not necessarily autmatic. He goes on to explain the
differences in:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration

Dovecot also says;

"Maildir++ quota isn't yet supported. Hard filesystem quota can
also be problematic."

- from all of that, I extrapolate that if Dovecot can be
'different', so too might one or more other IMAP daemons, w/r fs
structure expectations/alterations.

So, too w/r quotas.

HTH,

Bill