Re: [exim] lock file

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
New-Topics: [exim] How to choose between mbox and maildir? was: lock file
Subject: Re: [exim] lock file
Alex wrote:

> I know that Maildir is bettter than mbox, but i need use ,
> it works only with mbox.

Actually there are places where mbox may be better. Mailing
list digests and some types of archives, to name two.

But there are plenty of F/OSS Webmail clients around.

- Most, but not all, expect to deal with an IMAP daemon,

- at least two need neither POP nor IMAP daemons,

- at least two can do POP and IMAP on local or remote servers,
AND directly access mbox files on the server on which they
reside, with or without IMAP or POP,

- at least one needs no httpd, but implements its own https daemon.

For those that expect IMAP:

- more than a few IMAP daemons can use either Maildir or Mbox.

- a few can use both at once, depending on per-domain or
per-user settings.

Exim can not only use either mbox or Maildir (and other storage
types), it can be configured to do parallel deiveries to more
than one type.

You are only 'locked in' if you believe you are.

Bill