Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail

Autor: Oliver Heesakkers
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SMTP timeout sending mail to gmail
Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:23:17AM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
>
>> The problem is at the gmail end so you'll have to ask them what's going on.
>
> Is this a known problem? I would think that if every exim user is getting all
> their mail to gmail bouncing I wouldn't be the only one reporting it (and yes
> I searched the archives).
>
> So I'm wondering if there's something on my end that brings out the problem
> where no one else does. I don't even know how to go about figure out what
> that would be though, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to go about
> it.
>
> Based on my searching so far it looks like emailing gmail support would be a
> complete waste of my time. Other posters on other lists who are more
> important than me (ISP admins and so on) have reported they were completely
> ignored by gmail support. Power breeds arrogance, eh?

What I get is this:
(look at times and serveraddresses explicitly)
-------------------
17:12:09 1FRsd7-000HMF-99 <= A@???

17:17:09 1FRsd7-000HMF-99 SMTP timeout while connected to
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [66.249.93.114] after initial connection:
Operation timed out

17:17:09 1FRsd7-000HMF-99 => B@??? H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
[66.249.93.27]

17:17:09 1FRsd7-000HMF-99 Completed

Time-outs happen with hotmail too, but they usually deliver on the
second server, one or two times I've seen two time-outs in a row with
hotmail, but then the third server took it.

In any way, never has a mail to a gmail- or hotmailaccount been rejected
because of a timeout.