negation is not allowed with "acl" (was: [exim] Exim 4.61 re…

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: negation is not allowed with "acl" (was: [exim] Exim 4.61 released)
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:28:39 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>I have just put Exim release 4.61 on the primary ftp site:
>
> ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/exim4/exim-4.61.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/exim4/exim-4.61.tar.bz2
>
>- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>This release contains a number of new features and fixes, some of which are
>documentation formatting fixes. The manual has been brought up-to-date with all
>the changes since 4.60.

Unfortunately, exim 4.61 has also broken Debian's default
configuration, which relies heavily on constructions like

|  deny
|    message = Sender verification failed
|    !acl = acl_whitelist_local_deny
|    !verify = sender

These configuration snippets are now flagged as incorrect with a
dedicated error message:

| error in ACL: ACL error: negation is not allowed with "acl"

As this is not mentioned in the Changelog, may I ask for the reason?

Debian uses a sub-ACL to exclude sender e-mail addresses and sender IP
addresses from a number of ACL checks, and the notation of "!acl" has
been a convenient and intuitive way of specifying this behavior.

If it were my decision, I'd like to have that feature back. If that's
not possible for some reason, how am I supposed to implement the
whitelist now?

Greetings
Marc