[exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Autor: Adam Funk
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
On 2006-04-03, Marc Sherman <msherman@???> wrote:
> Adam Funk wrote:
>>
>> That provider adds header to every message with its abuse@ address and
>> my (authenticated) userid for its service. That should be good
>> enough.
>
> If it doesn't prevent you from spoofing someone else's return address
> and thus spamming them with bounces, it isn't.

If I did that (or any other evil thing with e-mail), there would be
plenty of traceability to hold me accountable.

Anyway, as far as I know, most MTAs are configured to accept what the
previous MTA cites as MAIL FROM and use it for the next step. How
much of the world would you have to blacklist to enforce your system?