[exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Autor: Adam Funk
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
On 2006-04-01, Marc Sherman <msherman@???> wrote:

> The behaviour you've just described is called "Sender Address Forgery".
> You happen to be forging your own work address, which you do
> legitimately control, but your ISP has no way of knowing that fact, and
> by rights should be blocking your forgery attempt.

All my outgoing mail has enough information for accountability in case
of abuse. Unless I'm actually spamming the content of my internet
traffic is IMHO none of my ISP's business.

> A good ISP could allow you to register alternative MAIL FROM addresses
> using some kind address verification mechanism. I don't know of any
> that actually do that, though.

There are no good ISPs? ;-)

> Note, later in the thread you stated that you have a third-party mail
> provider, separate from your ISP. Everything that's been said about
> your ISP in this thread also applies to your third-party mail provider.

That provider adds header to every message with its abuse@ address and
my (authenticated) userid for its service. That should be good
enough.