Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: bounce messages and their potential misuse
Adam Funk wrote:

> As I understand it, the MAIL FROM address is what ends up in the
> Sender: header and is where bounces go, right? So I'd rather not have
> my mailhub modifying it. When I send an e-mail from home with my work
> address in the From: header, for example, I want any bounces to go
> back to my work address. I don't want bounces going to my
> ISP-provided mail account, because I don't use it (because their mail
> system is crap).

The behaviour you've just described is called "Sender Address Forgery".
You happen to be forging your own work address, which you do
legitimately control, but your ISP has no way of knowing that fact, and
by rights should be blocking your forgery attempt.

A good ISP could allow you to register alternative MAIL FROM addresses
using some kind address verification mechanism. I don't know of any
that actually do that, though.

Note, later in the thread you stated that you have a third-party mail
provider, separate from your ISP. Everything that's been said about
your ISP in this thread also applies to your third-party mail provider.

- Marc