Re: [exim] handling users and learning

Autor: Patrick Okui
A: exim-users
CC: Zbigniew Szalbot
Assumpte: Re: [exim] handling users and learning
On Thursday 30 March 2006 20:55, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello to everyone,
>
> I have exim installed on windows to learn it before I have to run it
> under linux (don't yet have an access to a linux box to learn there).

It would be helpful if you told us *how* you installed exim under windows -
I'm guessing you are running cygwin? Also you didn't tell us what version of
windows you are running, XP?

> And hence my request for suggestions.
>
> What is the advisable way of keeping mail users?
> that some people use user accounts in OS and some - if I understand
> correctly - store user names in mysql.

You can run MySQL in windows, but that's far from advisable. ;-)

> This is first thing that I would
> like to learn. Can anyone point me to a document or a working
> configuration to use. If this be document, could this be something that
> a not very technical person can understand? Shame on me but because I do
> not have an access to linux, I don't even know how to add a user...

Google? Seriously, google spat out
http://pigtail.net/LRP/exim/exim-cygwin.html which doesn't look too complex
and depends on the windows users on your system - assuming you are running
windows 2000 or XP.

If you want to go the MySQL route google for "exim4 mysql howto" or something
similar but be warned it will be frustrating unless you know your way around
MySQL.

> All I can do right now in exim is send it as a relay server. Thanks in
> advance to all of you who can suggest where to start.

How about learning how to use some sort of unix? www.knoppix.org has a live
linux CD that doesn't install onto your PC but will allow you to play with
some of this software..and if you have a FAT32 partition, then you can save
an image to the disc.

--
patrick