Re: [exim] Relay just from my laptop

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Jean-Louis Leroy
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Relay just from my laptop
On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 15:47 +0100, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a laptop that I connect to the internet from various places. I
> have a server with a fixed IP address. Both computers run exim4. I'd
> like to set up the server so that it accepts to relay only messages
> originating from my laptop. And set up the laptop to use the server as
> a smart host.
>
> I suspect I can get the effect I want involves authentication. What is
> the simples setup that achieves this?

For the client side, something like
http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/sites/shinybook is only a _little_ more
complicated than you need -- it shouldn't be hard to strip out the extra
bit you don't need, which sends directly to one particular domain.

> The server runs Debian sarge and has a rather complex template-based
> exim.conf. The laptop runs Fedora core 4 and its exim.conf is a lot
> more readable IMHO.
>
> I am not even sure that the server supports authentication. I used the
> test from chapter 33 from the manual:

It didn't offer it, but then mine wouldn't either -- mine only offer
AUTH if you're using TLS, and you didn't test that. Thankfully your
misguided attempt to obscure the server name didn't work, so I could
test for myself... however it seems not to offer STARTTLS to me at all,
so I still couldn't test whether it would allow AUTH in an encrypted
session.

I'd suggest making the server listen on port 587 too (which it doesn't
at the moment), since your laptop might sometimes find itself in a
network which filters outgoing port 25.

There's plenty of examples of setting up the server side of
authentication out there -- mine's at
http://david.woodhou.se/eximconf/master but is probably more complicated
than you need. There's got to be a simpler example somewhere else.

--
dwmw2