[exim] RFC on accepting mail to return path addresses

Author: Sander Smeenk
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] RFC on accepting mail to return path addresses
Hello list!

This message might be somewhat inapropriate for this list, as it isn't
really an Exim question, feel free to reply in private.

I'm running Exim 4.60 with the Sender Rewrite Scheme (SRS)
implementation as found on http://infradead.org/rpr.html.
Slightly adopted over time and works like a charm... Mostly. :)

The problem i'm having is that certain mailinglists seem to callout to
the return path of my messages using a sender other than <> or
postmaster, and i'm rejecting those kind of messages because they don't
seem like DSNs. (Happens with apache.org lists and mysql.com lists)

IMHO return path should only be used for DSNs, and DSNs should always
come from <>.

For example, i can't mail to the mysql mailinglists with SRS turned on.
Seconds after sending my message, this is logged in my Exim logs:

| 2006-03-20 11:32:38 H=lists2.mysql.com (lists.mysql.com)
| [213.136.52.31]:43167 I=[80.69.73.239]:25
| F=<confirm-bounce-eada6ac307e3082edd83d096fa167c50-SRS0+d364bfee659e1ea93018+939+freshdot.net+ssm+mysql=srs.freshdot.net@???>
| rejected RCPT
| <SRS0+d364bfee659e1ea93018+939+freshdot.net+ssm+mysql@???>:
| Invalid SRS bounce (Not a DSN)

And my message is never delivered to the mailinglist.

What is the opinion of the masses, am I right to reject mail to return
paths if they don't come from <> or postmaster?

I'm happy to hear from you guys. Either on- or offlist ;)

Kind regards,
Sander Smeenk.