Re: [exim] Loopy idea: "tunnel" SMTP through HTTP

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Loopy idea: "tunnel" SMTP through HTTP
Greg Ward wrote:

*trimmed*

> So ... why not tunnel SMTP through HTTP? IOW, when we *want* to do

Presuming you, or another staff member on your team have an
American Express, Visa, MC, or online banking or brokerage
account, several https-based examples should already be familiar
to you. A 'conventional' smtp MTA may not be involved in those
implementations, as they are restricted to a specific user
community.

The other widely-used http/https solution is that of any of
several 'Webmail' implementations. Some of these require IMAP,
some can use POP, at least one (from Courier) can work directly
to Maildirs. Several can run either/both POP and IMAP, and need
not reside on the same server(s) as the MTA(s), POP(s), or
IMAP(s) they access.

Exim works with essentially 'all of the above', so I suspect all
you need to do is select and install a Webmail daemon, add a
link to it from the website you claim is problem-free, and
'announce' it on that website to your membership.

There is no need to re-invent any of the finer details.

HTH,

Bill