Re: [exim] Loopy idea: "tunnel" SMTP through HTTP

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Loopy idea: "tunnel" SMTP through HTTP
On 14/03/06, Greg Ward <gward-exim@???> wrote:
> The one ray of hope is that we already have guaranteed HTTPS
> connectivity from customer sites to a support server on our premises.
> (We can't monitor the remote deployments without it, so opening outgoing
> port 443 to this one special host is pretty much a prerequisite for
> being one of our customers.)

Then you have your answer - add functionality to the interface which
already 'calls home' over HTTPS to trigger emails from your central
server.

This way you're squeaky-clean about the firewall privileges you've got
them to implement for you - never a good idea to hoodwink your
customer by stealth into allowing something which their security
policy doesn't want you to have. And it will work for all customers
without a second thought.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer