Re: [exim] Loopy idea: "tunnel" SMTP through HTTP

Author: Greg Ward
To: Pete Naylor
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Loopy idea: "tunnel" SMTP through HTTP
On 14 March 2006, Pete Naylor said:
> Greg - if I'm understanding the situation correctly, I'm thinking you
> should be able to set up a formmail type CGI on your central server, then
> submit your messages to it from your remote sites as a form via HTTPS.

Yeah, but that requires applications running on those remote servers to
know that it's using HTTPS to send email. It would be really nice if we
could use the local MTA to ensure email is queued in case of HTTPS
outage. Which is why I was curious about hacking this as a backend into
Exim or postfix: instead of the standard "smtp" transport (I misspoke
myself earlier when I said "router": it's been a while since I did any
Exim work!), use a mythical "http" transport.

Hmmm: perusing the Exim manual is bringing back old memories. Maybe
this can all be done with the "pipe" transport. Yes, Exim is still
outrageously configurable. No wonder I've never had to hack on the
code. ;-) I'll see if I can cobble something together before that
meeting tomorrow where I have to shoot down the competing idea...

        Greg