Re: [exim] How to substitute colon `:' for another character…

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: My BSD
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How to substitute colon `:' for another character in maildir_format delivery file name?
My BSD wrote:
> Need to back Maildirs to an smb share as a nightly Cron job (NFS is not
> an option).
>
> Unfortunately, because Exim includes a colon `:' in the name of the
> file name when it delivers to a Maildir, Samba truncates the file name
> and files with truncated duplicate file names are overwritten.

Colon is specified as a type of separator in Maildir names. Anyhow,
unless you have specifically set things up differently, exim, by
default, does not generate Maildir names with colons in. Instead your
pop/imap server or mail client will be adding the colon and suffix when
it reads the Maildir (this is used to add status data).

> I read somewhere that there is a setting to change the colon to another
> character but could not find it in the Spec. (Googling for exim and :
> was fruitless).

Since exim is unlikely to be involved here its not likely to be an exim
fix you need. Its impressive that a filesystem can still be so broken
in this day and age.

    Nigel.