Re: [exim] How to substitute colon `:' for another character…

Autor: Giuliano Gavazzi
A: My BSD
CC: Exim Mailing List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How to substitute colon `:' for another character in maildir_format delivery file name?

On 11 Mar 2006, at 19:45, My BSD wrote:

> Thank you for your reply Nigel.
>
> I was actually not asking about Maildir names, rather, the names of
> the
> message files that exim saves or writes in the "cur" subdirectory
> of the Maildir.

and Nigel was indeed meaning filenames (an Imap server does not
change Maildirs names). For Maildirs the separator might (IIRW) be
server dependent. Courier uses a dot.

It is not clear to me what is wrong here. As your question was stated
by you it looked like it was Samba's fault if the colon is not
allowed. This is why I said that you could simply use a different
protocol (excluding NFS), and that was rsync.

I am no samba expert but I found this:

http://www.rtr.com/winpak/Documentation/smb_conf.htm

that reads:

valid chars (S)
        The  option  allows  you  to specify additional characters
        that should be considered valid by  the  server  in  file-
        names.  This is particularly useful for national character
        sets, such as adding u-umlaut or a-ring.

perhaps, if you still want to use samba, and if the problem *is*
samba, that is the answer to your problem.

Giuliano