Re: [exim] Protesting AOL pay to send email plan

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Protesting AOL pay to send email plan
Marc Perkel wrote:

> I don't allways agree with EFFs position on things - especially spam.
> But the payment of money isn't a good way to distinguish real email from
> spam.

The payment of money to the *recipeint* might be ;-)

- but to skip-over spam checks? Isn't bribing a policeman a
crime in most places? And for a purported policamn to *solicit*
a bribe... well..

> It quashes free speech

Doubtful..

> and allows spammers to pay to send you
> spam.

Clearly.

> I also tend to protest and kind of attempt to take what is
> essentially an open public worldwide network and turn it into a
> private corporate fascist controlled network.

Izzat a triple-oxymoron?

'X.400' is a shorter term, and it lives on in each of those
environments.

But X.400 has been under more threat from, and progressively
lost more ground to, smtp than the reverse.

There is even a smidge of merit in the AOL theme, if only the
revenue was shaed with the recipient:

Imagine the benefit if unsolicited snail-mail or unsolicited
telemarketing had to pay a premium to pass your gate...

> So my suggestion is a gentle way
> of expressing my concerns to AOL in their log files.

Not as gentle as the otherwise 'invisible' 4-minute delay I
clamped on them an hour or so ago....

Bet it isn't even logged. Why stand out in traffic? ;-)

Bill